Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Arrive en France

Leaving Boise at 8 am, I finally set off for my journey to France. This jeune femme (young woman) is learning so much already! I went to Oakland for a more direct flight and rode BART for the first time, hauling my luggage all the way. After far too much worrying about missing my stop (worry - me? ha!), I arrived at the San Francisco airport. Traversing my way around an international section (another first), I found AirFrance and checked in. Still hours to go for the flight, I enjoyed my last meal in America.

The time finally came to board the plane. Flying is still a relatively new thing, so getting through security at Boise, Oakland, San Fran, Paris, and finally Pau - was an accomplishment in and of itself. On the AirFrance flight, we had lovely French attendants and I attempted to speak as much French as possible. I had the great fortune to sit next to a fellow USAC student traveling to Pau. She also was leaving the country for the first time, and also from the Northwest, so we obviously had many things in common. 

The flight wasn't even remotely as awful as I thought and the food was tasty (maybe a French thing?). It felt like I ate, slept, and woke up and ate again. They brought me breakfast and I swore I had just eaten - maybe that's the effect of traveling through many time zones... but I also watched Crazy, Stupid Love and it was entertaining. Finally, the arrival in Paris.



Other than the signs being a different language, it didn't really seem like France. Maybe because Paris is such an international airport, there were many people of different nationalities speaking all sorts of languages (kind of like in Honolulu!). After some apprehension, mes nouveaux amis (my new friends) and I found our way to the connecting flight. Paris to Pau was about an hour since Paris is towards the top of France and Pau is almost bordering Spain!

After all the banding together to find our space in this new place, we students took our separate paths as either a homestay or the dorms awaited us. Being introduced to my host mom, Christine, I practiced the French custom of a kiss on each cheek. 

Christine was very very kind and helpful and so funny! She told me all about everything I was seeing. I thought I was understanding most of it - then I realized later I was very sleep deprived and don't remember much. But apparently the English used Pau as a settlement for their winter months, so they have horse races and one of the largest golf courses in France.



I'm just going to say that I have definitely taken space for granted in my home of the great Northwest U.S. We have such huge houses comparatively - and they still manage to have enough place in their hearts to open their home to complete strangers wanting to live in their country. I will definitely be housing exchange students if I ever have a house of my own. Christine's downtown apartment where she lives with her 15 year old son was perfect, conveniently located and my room cozier than my room at home! 

A few interesting differences: The actual toilet is in a different spot than the room with the tub/shower. There are two rooms with bath/shower/sinks and one actual little "toilet closet" so to speak. Another one is a thing I've seen in general in France and that is the difference of conserving electricity.

In France, electricity is very expensive, so the lights are automatic or self-timed and you ALWAYS turn lights off when you leave a room or when they are unnecessary. In most public buildings, it is the same. The light automatically comes on when it senses you there, then turns off after a certain amount of time or you click it on and then it times out after a bit. A very grand idea compared to the U.S. where we keeps lights on ALL THE TIME! Also, you click the lights down instead of up to turn them on! :)



After unpacking, Christine said I could sleep - but I had been told by many travelers before me to stay up to the regular bedtime in my new time zone otherwise I wouldn't acclimate as well. So I said no way! She was impressed about my energy level (as was I) and we went on a walk downtown. She showed me the incredible Château de Pau (Castle of Pau) where Henri IV of France lived. I couldn't believe I was finally seeing a real castle! 

I took this picture ---> :)


She treated me to a crêpe and a cup of chocolat (hot chocolate). It was the most magnificent hot chocolate I have ever had. Life in America will never be the same! We walked down the boulevard de Pyrénées which is famous for its stunning view of the amazing mountains. We saw the statue of Henri IV and the many, old historic buildings built probably in the 12th century. It was all very surreal. She was very welcoming and made me feel right at home.



After our wonderful outing, she took me to the grocery store which was an adventure in and of itself. You must price your fruits and légumes (vegetables) yourself at a weigh station that auto stamps the price (good to know!) It was interesting how many American brands I saw - and the many many many types of fromage (cheese)! I couldn't even remember what I used to eat all the time - so I bought some pommes (apples). After shopping, we ate dinner and I finally snuggled in to bed around 10 pm in my new French home.

(Parc Beaumont - our apartment building to the left)

1 comment: