Sunday, January 8, 2012

Dimanche

First Sunday in a foreign country, and I'd say it went pretty dang well.  Although I don't understand the exact details, apparently in celebration of when the three Kings came to Jesus, the French eat galette des rois (King cake) for the event of Epiphany. In these sweet breads, there are miscellaneous little toys inside - so eater beware. Christine and I went to a nearby town to get these special celebratory cakes. People were lined up the block of the patisserie, many with children. Apparently, whoever munches the bread and find the hidden object gets to wear the crown they include with it.


We took the purchased cakes to Christine's friend's house, who happened to be preparing a delicious Sunday meal for us. She is Creole and a very apt at cuisine. I have no idea what I ate - but it was very good. She also sent around a mini pot of a sort of green chili pepper looking mix and I was warned of its contents. So I took the teensiest bit and it was still très, très chaud! At least fanning yourself repeatedly is understood across continents, as another lady did the same across the table and we all laughed. After an amazing meal, there was fromage (cheese), galette des rois, café (coffee), chocolat, and more galette. After all this food - and not to mention delicious wine from the region, I was quite fat and happy. By the way, the young 15 sons were not allowed to partake in the vin (wine), so the "hey everyone drinks in France" rumor is untrue!




They also had about four bunnies running around in their yard, her son brought one in and I got to hold him and pet him. Christine said something about "manger" (to eat) and I accidentally cried out No!!! Everyone laughed as I put my sad face on and another lady asked me if we eat rabbits in the US, and I vehemently said no, I definitely don't eat poor little bunnies! It was really funny... but I still am not sure if they were raising them to eat or not... guess that's what I get for not understanding French eh?

Num num! Haha JK (poor Jenna!)

 Feeling like I desperately needed a siesta (wait, I'm in France... not Spain) - the ladies began to play Scrabble. I burst out laughing, attempting to say that I would take them on anyday in English scrabble... but French, HAH! They all laughed and although I wouldn't want to slow them down, it's actually a good idea to help learn vocabulary... I'll remember that.

Haha... yeahh....

After the lovely festivities, we headed home and Christine's son wanted to drive. He is 15, so he hasn't even started training yet... he was very excited and at least the apprehensive looks on my face got him to laugh. He was so excited and we were all having fun as he killed the engine a few times. I love those moments when we are just people and the language/nationality doesn't matter. He is a 15 wanting to drive, just like the 15 year old I used to be, or any other one in the US. One thing I've noticed is that all the little Euro cars are standard/manual. I would think if you just drive a little car in the city and don't need to go over mountains or in super bad weather, you would just have an automatic - but nope. I made it home alive after the wheel was turned over to Christine and I ended up watching "Le Comte de Monte Cristo" (The Count of Monte Cristo) in français and even with Gerard Depardieu! What a lovely day and looking forward to tomorrow!


Useful French phrase learned: bonne journeé (Pronunciation)
- It means good day, so you can say it for "have a good day" or for asking how your day was

No comments:

Post a Comment