Friday, January 6, 2012

Jours Trois



The day after my lost adventure, Christine walked me to my bus stop so I would remember exactly how to get home :) It was a lovely morning and she showed me the best patisserie in town. I rode the bus for the first time, and again I'm always interested in what is going on around me. I have to really try to not appear too eager and make everyone realize instantly what an American I am.

Nothing like more orientation to get you going the next day, although it was lovely because it was a tour of Pau itself. Since we were already such blatant tourists, traveling in a large group speaking English (very loudly, I might add) - I didn't feel so guilty about taking pictures. Our USAC leader (who completely reminds me of an awesome Boise State Ticket Office buddy back home) showed us all over downtown and the old parts of Pau. Since I had been show the sites a second time, I felt I had a much better grasp of the geography. I learned so much not just about Pau, but France en général (in general). For instance, France is broken into not only cultural regions (Pau is in Béarn), but administrative (Aquitane) which has its own capital (Bordeaux) and number (72). Too compliquée pour maintenant (complicated for now).



I enjoyed seeing the beautiful French architecture and oh my gosh the églises (churches)!!! I especially loved learning the histoire (history) of a particular building - the Museé Bernadotte. It was the place where Jean Bernadotte lived and he was a general under Napoleon. Apparently he has some close ties to the Swedish royal family and when the Swedish royal line failed to produce an heir - Napoleon placed his good ole pal on the throne. So a guy from Pau, France became King of Sweden and the Bernadotte line continues in the Swedish monarchy aujourd'hui (today). I'm sure you can read about it on Wikipedia if you are so inclined.


(Notice the Swedish and French flags)

We of course stopped by the amazing Château once more, and I am still amazed to be looking at a real castle (get inspiration you Hamlet-ers!) We saw many delicious looking restaurants including even Pizzerias and Indian food. I also spied a fondue restaurant (a must before I leave) and a restaurant called Le Dauphin which means Dolphin, but it's also what the Prince of France is referred to (at least in Shakespeare), so I have yet to decipher that mystery. I was desperately craving another cup of chocolat, but we had to continue our journey so I squashed my craving until another day.


The stroll down the boulevard de Pyrénées was breath-taking even though it was foggy. All around the castle and the surrounding buildings, there are flowers still blooming in janvier (January). The buildings look so regal and the streets very French. On the rails of the boulevard an indented lines with names and elevations of mountains by them. Christine told me if you follow the line with your eye, it points you to the mountain written by it! After a visit to the Hôtel de Ville (a kind of City Hall or Mayor's House), we were free to wander around downtown once more.



Mes amis and I almost missed the ability to get some nummy food - for they close restaurants around 2 where we live. They are open at déjeuner (lunch) time usually 11:30-2, but then close and re-open again for dinner around 6. The pâttisseries which are full of yummy breads, baguettes, macaroons, and chocolates are usually open all day. There is at least one patisserie per block - and everyone is right when they say bread just isn't the same in the States. Just thinking of some movie where the bread is light, fluffy, tasty and perfectly flakes - that is the bread in France. My personal favorite patisserie is La Mie Câline ... and the croissant stuffed with chocolate.. num num.

We eventually found a café and practiced ordering and asking for l'addition (check). After putting our friend on the bus, Chineme and I wandered around downtown some more, checking things out and getting to know the place. I found out that they don't give you grocery bags at the store (good idea!) - but you can buy one and re-use it over and over (like green people do). Also learning to use the Euro is fun. After a full day of activities, I walked home and my host mom invited me to go to Zumba with her! Apparently Zumba just came to France about a year ago, and it was very fun! I enjoyed the experience because for once I wasn't nervous thinking about what people were going to say or what I was going to reply. I just danced and had fun. Wherever we happen to live - the human experience is all very similar. We all have hopes, fears, dreams, goals, and loves. When the language barrier isn't the prominent thing in your mind, you realize people are just people, all trying to find a place to feel fulfilled.

(Parc Beaumont - outside my window)

French Phrase of the Day: Pardon (Pronunciation)
- Useful in multiple ways: Saying excuse me or sorry or pardon me? 
Examples: When shopping and you need to get by someone or accidentally bump into someone, or perhaps if you drop something. Maybe you need to get through a line or walked into the wrong class - all these times you may use this phrase. I don't hear excusez-moi very often.

No comments:

Post a Comment